Here’s how Explore for a Year did in 2013.
Readership dropped 75% in 2013 from 2012
After I stopped updating my blog regular in February 2013, traffic significantly decreased to under 20,000 visits/month.
Total visits and pageviews:
- Visits: 434,051 (down from 1,689,353 in 2012)
- Pageviews: 539,912 (down from 1,983,650 in 2012)
Readers came from 213 countries and 14,371 cities
The biggest concentration of readers were in the U.S., followed by Canada, the UK and Australia, which is not surprising since my blog is written in English. However, I didn’t expect to see cities in the Philippines or Singapore on the list of top 10 cities.
Top 10 countries:
- United States, 244,332 visits (17.0% of total visits)
- Canada, 30,707 visits
- United Kingdom, 30,467 visits
- Australia, 19,758 visits
- Philippines, 15,905 visits
- Followed by India, Singapore, South Africa, Malaysia, Germany
Top 10 cities:
- New York, 13,632 visits (3.1% of total)
- London, 10,130 visits
- Sydney, 6,877 visits
- Toronto, 5,922 visits
- Los Angeles, 5,699 visits
- Manila, Melbourne, Chicago, Mikati City (Philippines) and Singapore
63% of visitors came from Google
Search engines were the largest sources of traffic and accounted for over 75% of the visits, followed by direct visits and Facebook.
Top traffic sources:
- Google 274,903 (63% of visits)
- Direct 97,406 (22% of visits)
- Bing 22,318 (5% of visits)
- Yahoo 20,497 (5% of visits)
- Facebook 4426 (1% of visits)
The top 10 blog posts accounted for 90.7% of pageviews
The most viewed blog posts:
- The 45 Most Inspiring Quotes on Change
- The 55 Greatest Quotes on Travel Ever
- Hamburg to Copenhagen by Train and Ferry
- Yup, I Quit My 9-5 Job Today!
- How to Declutter and Move Forward
- 10 Questions to Free You From Status Quo
- Round-the-world expenses: $4,520 for 19 flights
- Vipassana Meditation Part 1: First 3 Days Were Torture
- 13 Months of Travel in 30 Photos
- 6 Months of Travelling Alone – a Safety Update
Thank you for sticking with me during my long hiatus from blogging. I’m permanently back in Toronto now, but I still have travel planning ideas and tips I want to share as well as answers to travel questions I’m frequently asked, particularly questions related to solo travel and extended trips.
Send me your travel questions
If you have a travel question, email me at email@example.com. Include your name and city, and I’ll post an answer on Explore for a Year, because it’s likely that others people have the same question.